Thursday, June 20, 2013

7 Days In Beijing

06/20/13

Well I’m down to my last week in Beijing.  When I first got here I made a list of everything that I wanted to see and I have visited each place I’ve market it off the list.  Yesterday, I decided to go over the list and see how much I actually had left.  Surely there can’t be that much right?  Nope.  Not even close.

Inspired by my lack of effort, I decided to knock two of the main attractions off the list yesterday:  the Lama Temple and the Temple of Heaven.

First up, Lama Temple (a.k.a. Yonghe Temple).  This is a Buddhist temple in the middle of Beijing and one of the largest Buddhist temples in the world from what the signs said.  The grounds are plastered with vibrant colors along the sides of each building and wonderful smells of incense are all around.  Getting out of the smell of car exhaust and local… “perfumes” was very welcomed.  There were five main buildings on the grounds, each with their own Buddha.







Next, was the Temple of Heaven.  This was one the most cultural experiences I’ve had so far in Beijing.  Walking along the grounds we could see groups of elders playing cards as well as a group singing a Chinese hymn that could be heard throughout the temple grounds.  The actual temple sits atop a hill in the center of the park that has one of the best views of Beijing in the city.  It’s incredible to look around and see all that has been built up around this 400 year old temple!






Well, that’s all for now.  I’ll keep posting more and more stuff as the week progresses.  Tonight I’m going to an entrepreneurship seminar where I hope to meet some entrepreneurs from around the city.  Should be interesting to hear their stories about starting businesses in China!

No comments:

Post a Comment